Pages

Sunday 30 December 2012

The Company You Keep



So I have this really great friend.
 She's better at putting things into perspective than anyone else I know. In fact, sometimes she does it without even trying.  

I like to call my friends by initials here to respect their privacy.  We're talking about T.  
She was the assistant coach on my high school crew team, and she's honest to Dog one of my favorite people maybe ever.   
T's great.  She's got a really good head on her shoulders and tends to look at the big picture rather than getting caught up in the day-to-day details.  Plus, she's just good at getting stuff done.  She's one of the most competent people I know.  Scratch that.  THE most competent person I know. 

Recently, T got married.  It's a little weird having an actual real-life adult friend (she's something like 11 yrs older than me) but on the other hand, it's useful.  I won't say it's like having an older sister, because I already have two of those and I don't need anymore!  But I do tend to look to her for an example.  T's always been (especially in high school) a sort of "this-is-how-I-could-live-my-life" thing.  

But most importantly, I think she just rubs off on me.  I was really nervous about going back to school, and even more nervous about coxing spring season (yikes), but being around T just makes me feel better.  Like, she did it once.  I can do it, too.  Best part is I never even told her I was nervous.  T's ability to not get thrown by the little things or any "crew drama" really puts it all in perspective for me. She's incredibly helpful without even knowing it!  

So all I got to say here is that everyone needs a friend like T, and that if it's true that people judge you by the company you keep, than I'm in good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment