Pages

Monday 17 December 2012

Guide to Shopping in the Kid's Section

shopping in the kid's section

The worst thing about being small- ok, one of the worst things, is trying to find pants that fit.  No, I'm not kidding.  A lot of times, extra small t-shirts are too big for you.  I don't mind big t-shirts, but with pants, if they're too big, they're not going to do their job!  Now there's always belts for that pair that you just can't pass up, but pants are a problem.  I end up shopping the children's section a lot (bonus: children's clothes are often cheaper!) For some reason, I find shopping in the children's section less stressful then shopping otherwise.  Yes, I'm that girl.  The one who really gets stressed out by shopping.  I do a lot of online shopping, and fortunately, I normally don't buy a lot when I go online.  But in real life, it just makes me anxious.  I know, it's weird.  
So, without further ado, I present to you my guide to shopping in the children's section:
First of all, when you shop in the children's section you are taking you're life in  your hands.  Ok.  Maybe that's a little dramatic.  But still, you don't want to risk looking like you got your outfit from the children's section, especially if, like me, people continually mistake you a for a younger girl.  (Great in your forties, not so great in your twenties.)  I tend to avoid graphic tees no matter how cute they are, because if their from the children's section, a lot of times you can really tell.  The exception to that is Outfit # 1 with the heart print sweatshirt, but that's loungewear, so something you wouldn't wear out of the house.  Ok.  If you're me, you definitely don't follow that "don't wear sweats public places" rule, so I might wear this while traveling or  running out to the convenience store or going to a movie at night.  But I wouldn't wear it for dinner with friends or anything where I might be meeting people I know. (hoodie and sweats both Gap kids).  

  #2 is a button back shirt and camp pants from crewcuts.  Chic, comfy, and kind of retro, this would go well with casual sneakers or flats.

#3 tunic, old navy, leggings crewcuts. Ok, the leggings in outfit three might be pushing my luck.  But they were so cute.  Being the type of person who goes a little crazy over cute and comfy things, I couldn't resist.  If anyone asks if I got it in the kid's section, I'd just say yep.  I'm more embarrassed when my pants fit then when someone questions my taste!

#4 Pretty cute, huh?  Looks kind of parisian.  I bet no one would ever suspect.  Both items are gap kids.

#5 I'd wear that anyway!  You'd look like a cool hipster, specially if you grabbed #9 heart shaped glasses.   Ironically of course.  I'd wear my moccasin boots with this.  Because I'm just that cool.  

Now, on to the best thing to get from the kid's section, because they always fit perfectly (and are soooo much more comfy than in the womens' section:
DRESSES

Now I don't own a lot of dresses, but with the exception of one dress, every single dress I own has managed to hang loosely off me.   Which is totally fine, unless your dress is strapless.  Or unless you like to be comfy.  Guess what?  In case you couldn't tell, I like to be comfy.  Comfy is my number one priority.  In fact, if it's not something I could run in, I don't wear it.  Seriously.  This is why I don't own heels.  Dresses for girls tend to be more comfortable than dresses for women.  (Ok, any piece of clothing is comfier if it's not made for adult women, and cheaper too, but I'm not going into feminism in the clothing industry right now, because that is one can of worms I'm not qualified to deal with.  Plus, I hate worms.) 

#6 is a jcrew dress, and it might be a little short, depending on your height.  Sometimes I have a problem with this, because I have a ridiculously short torso and ridiculously long legs. So sometimes things look shorter than they are.  Fortunately, I prefer my dresses short. 'Cuz I can't exactly figure out what the point of dresses that don't show a lot of leg are anyway...

#7 looks super cozy, like something you would wear to a holiday party.  It's a gap kids number.  

and last but not least, #8 is freaaaaaaking ridiculously cute!!!  I would wear it somewhere under a blazer, or at least a dignified looking cardigan to avoid the kindergarten-y feeling of the t-shirt sleeved ruffle dress.  Either that, or I'd do a retro summer look with a sun hat, but those sorts of things only work out in my head (see: the time I decided to dress like it was circa 1945, All Creatures Great and Small).  Oh, that adorable dress is from gap kids.


PS: Don't those sunglasses look like the ones in the music video for Everybody Talks? (Neon Trees)

No comments:

Post a Comment