Pages

Sunday 16 June 2013

I'm Not a Wallflower, I'm a Cultural Anthropologist

Alternative Title: Blending
Alternative Title: What I Learned in High School

So, I've been in college about two years now.  Give or take a few semesters here and there (hey, I told you I had a rocky start)and you know how everyone always says college is such a great learning experience? 
It's true. 
But not really in the ways you might think.  I've learned a lot more about myself than I have about any academic subject.  One thing I've picked up on about myself is that, almost subconsciously, I take on traits of the people around me.  Ok, not all traits of the people around me.  My basic personality stays the same, but I do tend to pick up style of dressing, eating habits, mannerisms... those sorts of things.  And I know it sounds far fetched but, I really don't realize I'm doing it.  When I first realized I was doing it, it drove me INSANE.  I was so mad at myself.  Why couldn't I just find some way of talking or dressing that was totally me?  Being a naturally shy person, I think my instinct is to just blend.  In fact, I've become so good at blending that I don't realize I'm doing it.  Believe me, grade school taught me to blend the hard way.  Nowadays when I realize I'm wearing the exact same thing as five other girls in my class, or words just came out of my mouth that sounded like my sisters, I chalk it up to cultural anthropology.  I'm practicing participant observation.  
Whether I'm blending in with the other students, or blending in with a wall in the background, I know I'm different. I just don't want to be noticed.  Not now, anyway.  Believe me, you'll know when I want to be noticed.   
A good way to not be noticed is to borrow oversized beige clothes from your mom

No comments:

Post a Comment