Pages

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Coxswain Recovery System

Coxswain Recovery System
Today was BRUTAL.  Not workout-wise (although, for my girls it was) I had a good practice, steering and otherwise.  We went upstream which, is the most fun a person can have on the Charles, fyi.  Making the tight turns around Weeks and Eliot are such a thrill.
But the weather?
Forget about it!

It was cold.  And rainy.  Not normal rain, just misty sheets of rain.  And windy.

And did I mention it was cold?  
Yours truly has a terrible cold tolerance.  (And not a very good tolerance for heat either.   In my perfect world it would be 60-75 degrees and sunny all day everyday).  So naturally, I go to crew, cox, and am overjoyed to be coxing upstream, walk the 20 min back, go to breakfast, shower, go to class, I finished class around 2:00, got back to my room, and nearly died.  It was clearly time for some drastic measures.  So, without further ado, I present to you the coxswain recovery system!  It's a scientific method.  
So, even though I've been off the water since 8:30 this morning, I'm still chilly and tired.  The first thing I do when I go back to my room, after a brief clean up, is blow off some stress.  I'm pretty sure yoga should be required for all coxswains- no wait, all people. Ever.  I am carrying around a lot of tension, and yoga is one of the ways I get some of it out.  Plus, hey, a little exercise never hurt anybody.  
a baseball tee  and leggings are my go to done-with-class-for-the-day look, and considering the rain outside, my mum's old duck boots from 1970 are definitely the best choice.  They're way more worn out then the one's in the Polyvore set, and hence by New England Logic, better.  
The fleece lined  bean flannel is possibly the single greatest item I own.  It is from llbean, but it's not made for women, so you have to buy XXS.  They'll still be too big though which is fine because you can wear more layers underneath it.  Let me tell you, this is the single warmest cosiest piece of clothing ever.  I literally wore it as a jacket this morning and didn't get cold.  It's also, paradoxically, not to hot to lounge in inside if you're wearing a tee underneath and solves the what-if-my-t-shirt-doesn't-go-to-the-top-of-my-leggings-dilemma.  
Tea at a time like this, is an absolute neccesity.  I like Numi Jasmine Green which is amazing and available at any grocery store.  Even my sister who doesn't like Green tea says that it tastes really good.  it doesn't taste grassy like a lot of green tea because a lot of the taste comes from the jasmine.  Believe me.  This stuff is GOOD. 
Carmex and Aveeno- I have really dry skin.  My face can get so chapped from coxing that it literally feels like my mouth might fall off.  I use carmex because it's the most heavy-duty stuff I can find, but really, I'll use any lip balm.  Aveeno is my favorite moisturizer for body because I think the oatmeal-y scent is really calming, and likewise with yoga, I really need to calm down after practice!  Especially today.  Could the river have been more congested?  Ok, actually a lot of the congestion was from my team, but still guys, come on! 
L'occitane- my friend got me this hand cream for Christmas and I cary it around with me, because, once again, I don't want my skin to fall off.  Seriously.  Cold + windburn= no. Also it's fancy as heck, so I feel really posh. 
and, last but certainly not least 
The Other Boleyn Girl- Which I am currently reading for the billionth time.  Because 1: I'm a history major and 2: this is totally applicable to my life, anyway.  

anyway, if you need me...


No comments:

Post a Comment