Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Lies People Tell You About Hydration

Crew Team Edition:

#1: Coffee is dehydrating/ bad for you
       No.  No it's not.  Coffee is the beverage of the gods. NEXT!
definitely good for me. 

#2: You're a coxswain, so it's not really that important for you to stay hydrated
     Oh, so you like you're coxswains steering with a crushing migraine and blurry vision, do you?  That sounds safe.  Whichever rower came up with this one must have a death wish.  
Also, hydration is important for your voice.  You can't be too thirsty to call power tens.  

#3: Don't drink water while you're rowing.  
    Some rowers don't do it, and I'm always worried they'll pass out by the time we dock.  

#4: Gatorade is way better/way worse than water
    So Gatorade is not bad for you.  It's good for you.  It's just that a lot of people drink it when they don't need to.  If something is really, really, super out  of the ordinary high intensity, go for gatorade.  Otherwise, water is fine.  And a lot cheaper.  Like, free. I drink a lot of Powerade because my medication is kind of dehydrating and makes me lose way more fluids than normal through sweat so I'm always more dehydrated then I should be.  This is why #2 is such a touchy subject!  

#5: All Caffeine is bad for you. 
    So you know my rant about how coffee is the beverage of the gods?  It's not.  Tea is.  Tea pretty much cures anything.  But  guess what it has in it?  Caffeine. 
Also, there's some study out there (google it) that says coffee before a workout is good, because the caffeine pumps you up to work out harder.  Told!  

This public service announcement/blog post has been inspired by my nutrition class.  I'm taking nutrition over the summer, and it's pretty much terrifying.  I need to eat better. Just FYI.  It's terrifying. 

Ok...

Gotta go finish my lab.  

TTYL, 

-Emme 

No comments:

Post a Comment