Pages

Monday 4 February 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!

Guess what guys?  
21 years ago on this day, I was born!  
And everyone was like, " Hey. Why's this baby a ginger?  We're Italian Jews.  There hasn't been a redhead in this family since... ever." 
It's a mystery we're still trying to figure out.  (Come on, Mom, just admit I'm adopted already).  Of course there's always the Scottish that could account for that.  
Ok. 
In honor of my birthday, let's break down my crazy heritage.  
Well, first, if we're going to by what I have the most ethnicity of (I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to say it) there's Russian Jew.  Technically, Lithuanian Jew, but I'm pretty sure my ancestors had hauled ass out of there before Lithuania had a chance to become it's own country, so I guess in their minds they're Lithuanian.  Well, actually they're Jewish first, Lithuanian second.  Also, they are dead. 
Second, there is Italian.  My grandma is Sicilian and she will put a curse on you if you get on her bad side.  Really.  I've seen it happen. 
Third- at this point things start to break down and get a little foggy.  What we're talking about here is my maternal grandfather.  Presumably, he's Polish, with possibly a little French/German.  (Someone in his family was from Alsace Lorraine, and really?  Have they ever decided what country that's part of?  Here's the foggy part.  There are certain family stories (potentially verifiable and a very suspiciously Scottish last name for a "Polish" family that indicate that the Napiers are not Polish.  Hello? The Napiers?  Also, according to my great grandfather who I've never met, we are Scottish, and being older than the rest of us, he would know.  

And so there is the incredibly complicated answer to the question of what the heck is this kid doing being a ginger.  

You are welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment